Sunday, November 27, 2005

only happy when it rains

Day 91
Sunday
27 November 2005

I'm only happy when it rains
I'm only happy when it's complicated
- Garbage, Only Happy When it Rains

Labels are convenient for some things. When I go to the grocery store, for example, I find labels very helpful. I want to know whether I'm looking at a can of navy beans or a can of, say, palm hearts, because the latter will not go well with cassoulet.

In other contexts labels are not as useful. I am no longer labeled Undergraduate; I am now labeled Graduate Student. OK, that's useful for the registrar, but what does that mean to the person wearing the label? What is a grad student like? Is she suddenly, magically more responsible? More mature? Does she dress more professionally? Is she better organized, more likely to be on time than she was a mere six months ago? How long will it take for me to feel like a grad student?

The answer to that last question, in my case, turns out to be "91 days." I have a research project due on Friday which I haven't really started; I'm shopping for a house; I have two part-time jobs, but I'm only getting paid for one of them, and I'm not qualified for either of them; and I have a nasty cold, which has slowed my thought processes to a crawl and made even the simplest of tasks confusing. Now I feel like a grad student. My next question is, how long will it take for me to feel like an adult?

No comments: