Tuesday, March 14, 2006

annoying boy

Day 198
14 March 2006
Tuesday

When I walked into my Translation class today, Annoying Boy was talking to Angela about the relative merits of modern rap artists, and was expounding on some quantifiable reason why Eminem is a really good rapper. It had something to do with meter. I brought up Gerard Manley Hopkins' idea of "sprung rhythm," because it seemed relevant to the concept he was discussing. He replied irritably, "That's not what I'm talking about." Well, excuse me. Is he trying to annoy me, or does he simply have no social skills? I've tried not to let him know that he annoys me, because really, what's the point? But he's making it increasingly difficult. Yes, I'm aware that he probably doesn't make all those smug, supercilious comments in class just for the purpose of irritating me. Yes, I'm aware that for most people, I am the most annoying person in the room. Yes, I'm aware that I'm making a big deal out of a very small instance of rudeness. Shut up.

No comments: