Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Eliot Spitzer

Day 206
22 March 2006
Wednesday

I think I might be in love with Eliot Spitzer. He's the AG of New York, and he's always suing people/companies for doing things that also happen to bug me personally. Example: over the past couple of years, it has come to my attention that numerous people, completely unknown to me, apparently "own" my personal information, including my address, phone number, DOB, social security number, and credit history. Not only do these unknown people "own" my information, but they sell it to other people. This makes me very angry. They have obtained this information without my express consent, they are transmitting it to other people without my consent (and in most cases without my knowledge), and they are making money from it without my consent, and certainly without my receiving any money for it. Spitzer is currently suing a company called "free ipods.com," who collected personal information from somewhere in the neighborhood of 7 million people, assured them they would not buy, sell, rent, or lend that information, and then turned around and sold it. Quoth Mr. Spitzer: "Unless checked now, companies that collect and sell information on consumers will continue to find ways to erode the basic standards that protect privacy in the internet age.” Amen, hallelujah! Preach it, Brother Spitzer!

Read the article about the lawsuit here:

No comments: