Tuesday, April 04, 2006

not a morning person

April 4, 11:38 p.m.

I registered for next Fall's classes today. I was pretty excited before-hand because, once again, I get to register before the unwashed masses of undergrads. This makes me feel special. Actually signing up for classes, however, turned out to be a process replete with unpleasant surprises. For example, the British Modern class that I need is going to meet at 9:30 in the morning. I'm excited to take a class from Dr. Modernist, but not that excited ... especially because, if I want to be on campus at 9:30 a.m., I have to get up at 6:30 a.m. This is not an exaggeration. In order for me to get myself, my toddler, and my six-year-old out the door on time, I need to get out of bed three hours before the time I'm supposed to be in class.

I know what you're thinking. You're thinking, "She's complaining about getting up at 6:30? What a wimp!" So, for the record, let me just say that I am not a morning person. I am capable of staying up until two or three in the morning to get work done, but it would be virtually impossible for me to do the same work at, say, five or six in the morning, no matter what time I went to bed. I never feel really happy about being awake until around 10:00 a.m., and before 9:00 I'm barely functional.

So anyway, I signed up for the class, and resigned myself to the fact that two days out of every week next Fall are going to be Bad Days. If I have to get up at six a.m., it will ruin my day every time; there's just no way around it. The next class I had to sign up for was “Composition Pedagogy,” because I want to teach English Composition next year, and the Pedagogy class is required for that. There are two sections offered, one at 1:30 in the afternoon on the same day as the Modernism class, and one at 9:00 a.m. on the off days. If I take the 1:30 section, I will be on campus from 9:30 until 3:00 – not good from a child-care perspective. If I take the 9:00 section ... I'll have to be in class at nine a.m. I've signed up for the morning section; there's really nothing else I can do. But this will very possibly be the worst semester of my life. I'm going to diiiiiiiiiiiie.

No comments: