Friday, June 09, 2006

oh. my. gosh. BUGS.

Day 284
9 June 2006
Friday

I put a load of laundry in the washer yesterday evening. At 2:00 this afternoon, while Peach was securely strapped into her high chair, I went downstairs to put the laundry in the dryer. Upon opening the washer, I was confronted by a HUGE COCKROACH, lying on its back, obviously breathing its last (or whatever it is they do – I have no idea if they even breathe). The fact that the beast is dying is good. The fact that it is dying in my washing machine is BAD. Armed with a wad of about 16 paper towels, I remove the creature, which is still twitching feebly, and deposit it in the outside garbage can. One by one, I take each article out of the washer, shake it, and scrutinize it carefully. Then everything goes back into the washer for another wash cycle. I am NOT OK WITH THIS.

3 comments:

Heidi said...

TAVE!!! Do you ever check this thing anymore? I noticed you had commented on Chaucer's blog... do you know what pwne noobs is? I can't figure it out... And here's me knowing Middle English fairly well, also.
PS. I'm starting my PhD in October, in English, at the University of York... how cool is that! Old English, of course. :)

Octavia said...

Yes, I still check it. I know, it's been a while since I posted. I got behind while we were moving and I'm still trying to catch up.

Knowing Middle English would not help you with "pwne noobs." In gaming parlance, "noob" is short for newbie, i.e. someone who is new in the game and therefore easy to beat. To "own" someone is to beat them very thoroughly and completely; "pwn" is a spelling variant from an online dialect called "leet" (short for "elite," also spelled "1337"). Presumably, then, "pwne" would be the, um, Middle English spelling of "pwn." Hope that helps.

And that's brilliant about your PhD program. As you can see from the blog, I've wandered off into Romanticism, so Old English will probably always be more of a side project for me. Alas!

Heidi said...

Excellent! Thanks for the definition, and I answered your emails. :) I'll be in touch.