Thursday, January 25, 2007

moving to Tibet

You know, I already have a perfectly good college degree. Truly. I still have the diploma lying around someplace. Why did I think I needed another one? Right at this moment, I can't recall.

It seemed like such a good idea, and it was fun for a while. Fewer classes, no general ed., a chance to focus on the subjects I really enjoy. The problem is that eventually someone's going to expect me to write a thesis. (And when I say "eventually," I mean more like "pretty soon.") When I started the program, it seemed like such a comfortably distant prospect - you get a whole year before you even have to file your prospectus. How hard could this be?

Answer: hard. In spite of the fact that I only take two or three classes each term, the workload is still enough that I just can't find the time to work on my stupid thesis. I read book after book after book, and I write paper after paper after paper, and yet I have this horrible feeling that I'm not getting anywhere because I haven't written my thesis. At this point, I haven't looked at it for so long that I barely remember what my idea was. I don't suppose it was anything terribly important. I remember writing in my letter of intent that I wanted to "contribute" to the academic "conversation." Well, I've changed my mind. I have plumbed the depths of my brain, and concluded that I have nothing to contribute. Now what on earth am I going to tell my committee?

It's clear that no ordinary excuse will do on this occasion. After all, Blackwood, Descartes, and Victoria have already invested a certain amount of their valuable time in this project. [Full disclosure: my committee is awesome. They are lovely people and amazing scholars. I'm sure they would have made a scholar of me if anyone could have.] I really think the best thing would be for me to move to Tibet. I will regretfully inform the University that I have converted to Buddhism, and that in order to facilitate my spiritual journey, I and my family have decided to move to Tibet.

I anticipate that blogging will be even more irregular than usual after the move.

Ga ler bzhugs, slab grwa!

9 comments:

nicole said...

best of luck with the move. i may or may not be right behind you, depending on whether or not i can survive this internship. maybe i should have considered the whole "writing a thesis" thing before i signed up for 312 hell.

Octavia said...

I really am sorry the internship turned out to be such a pain, but last time I checked in Chez Nicole, it sounded like you were doing pretty well. Qu'est-ce qui se passe?

nicole said...

it's really up and down--some days i feel like an idiot but other days it goes great. it's always stressful, though, just by virtue of the fact that i never know what to expect.

speaking of not knowing what to expect, by the way, one of my freshmen fainted and vomited in class on friday. that was fun.

Octavia said...

Wow. I don't think they covered that during our training week. I had two diabetics in my class last semester, but they were kind enough to refrain from passing out in class.

Anna B said...

i won't tell your committee if you don't tell mine. i hear you. i feel the pressure is on, and i am buckling under it

Octavia said...

Probably best not to say anything, since our committees are two-thirds the same. :) I probably shouldn't whine so much, I know you have PhD applications on top of everything else.

Heidi said...

Oh my children... 'tis not impossible... and can I just say, you will NEVER lose that feeling of wondering, "What on EARTH have I contributed?" Well, I'll tell you the secret. The trick with an MA thesis is, in actual fact, NOT TO DETRACT. :-D I'm here to say, "It's possible!" And I'm living proof. Twice over. With a piled higher and deeper in progress. Now THAT'S when you start thinking, What on this green earth (or ungreen earth, depending on which part of Genesis A or B you're currently reading) am I DOING?
Tibet is nice... you can complete a lot of OE translations while living in Tibet... and Buddhism isn't such a big change either...

duke said...

how do i go about moving to tibet? i am a us citizen and want to move. my email is Dukegolz92@aol.com. thanks

Octavia said...

Ummm ... I have no idea. Maybe try contacting the Tibetan embassy?