Wednesday, February 07, 2007

the Bulwer Lyttons and their fictions

While browsing through the online catalog of the Victorian collection, I noticed several items by or about Edward Bulwer Lytton and his wife, Rosina. In an effort to learn more about the Bulwer Lyttons, I looked them up in the Dictionary of Literary Biography and found that although she was the author of at least three published novels, Rosina Bulwer Lytton has no entry in the DLB. A cursory online search for information about Rosina led me to three extremely different accounts of her, describing her respectively as a neglected and possibly abused wife; a scheming, vengeful social climber intent on ruining Edward's career; and an unimportant footnote to Edward’s biography. I'm hoping that the materials in Special Collections will allow me to do something like a literary biography of Rosina for my term paper in the Victorian Lit. class.

No comments: