Wednesday, February 14, 2007

conference submission

I don’t spend a lot of time on professional development, because I figure that’s something I’ll have time for once I've finished my degree. It will be at least five years from the time I graduate until the time that I can start applying to PhD programs, so in the interim I plan to do some adjunct work (assuming it’s available), try to get something published, maybe submit to a couple of conferences. At this point, I usually can’t be bothered to submit even to local conferences, because I feel like I don’t have time to write a convincing abstract, let alone a conference-length paper.


So why am I submitting an abstract to Grasmere? I don’t know. I couldn’t help it. I’ve never been to England, and I want to go. I told them I want to write about hypochondria in Jane Austen’s novels. I’m not sure how well that would go over at a conference that’s heavily weighted toward poetry, but hey – it doesn’t cost anything to submit.

1 comment:

Heidi said...

Hey... you'll only be a couple of hours away... you don't want to miss YORK, do you?