Sunday, September 16, 2007

Grasmere: the venue

This year the conference was held at the Forest Side, an old country house that's been converted to a hotel. I use the word "old" loosely, of course; the house was built in 1853, so it's not particularly old by British standards. The driveway which leads to the hotel is long, winding, lined with trees, and has one rather odd feature: a small circle of moss-covered stones surrounding two trees.


As you walk up the drive, you occasionally catch glimpses of the hotel between the trees.


Then you round the last bend and see the front of the building.

This used to be someone's house. Probably their second house.

The conference sessions were held in a room with enormous wood-framed windows that look out onto the hotel grounds. It was lovely, but distracting at times, as you may imagine. (Double-click to see the picture in more detail - it's really gorgeous.)


The hotel also featured badgers. I think I was the only person at the conference who found this unbearably funny.

They were kind of cute, but it was hard to get a good picture because they only came out at night.

4 comments:

Nicole said...

i don't know how you ever left!

Octavia said...

It was hard. I've spent the past month trying to figure out how I'm going to get back.

Heidi said...

Hey, guess where I was this weekend... Did you go to the gingerbread shop while you were there? We opted out of going into Dove Cottage this time cause of the money it would have cost. But we spent plenty of time wandering around the lake, and I have some pictures of a few graves you'd probably recognise! :)

Octavia said...

Alas, I didn't get to wander around the lake so much as I went charging around the lake at a VERY brisk pace (not my choice). I'm told it's very scenic, but I spent all my time watching the ground so I wouldn't trip over anything.