Wednesday, January 09, 2008

new semester, new job, new baby ... some embarrassment

I had signed up to teach Composition again this semester, but was allowed to bail out after I got a job as a TA. I'm working with a professor I like, and she's offered to let me teach as much as I want (in addition to the grading for which I'm getting paid). The class is a survey of early British literature, up to 1800, and I'm really looking forward to it. Rhetoric is not and never will be either my specialty or my favorite thing, whereas I really dig Early Brit. Yay!

In other news, we have a new baby. His eyes are the same color as Link's (bright blue). He is very sweet and loves to cuddle, but like most babies he doesn't really understand that night-time is for sleeping. Last night I awoke at 2:43 a.m. to find him doing the Charleston on my spine.

Here he is sleeping:


And here he is not sleeping:


We're thinking of calling him Skippyjon. Really.


So, the embarrassment: I had a meeting with Blackwood today. It was one of those "New semester, haven't talked in a while, let's see where we are and where we're going" meetings, so the reason for my embarrassment is obvious: I'm not where I should be. I really had planned to work on my thesis last semester, but ... OK, maybe "planned" is too strong. I had intended to work on my thesis last semester. And then, just like Blackwood said would happen, I let teaching get in the way. My extremely plausible excuse is that I was used to teaching on a M-W-F 50-minute class schedule, and then last semester I had to adjust everything to a T-Th 75-minute class schedule. I think what really happened is that I intended to work on my thesis, but I didn't plan sufficiently for it to happen.

Anyway, I sat down in Blackwood's office, and after a few pleasantries, he said, "So where are we?" And I had to tell him that I still hadn't even decided which novels I was going to use.

I knew exactly what he was thinking. It's the same thing I always think when a student brings me a one-page draft for what is supposed to be an eight-page term paper. At that point, I know the student is probably not going to do very well on the paper, because she's way behind schedule, and her "finished" draft is probably going to be more like a first draft that I haven't had a chance to comment on. When that happens, I inevitably think, "Recriminations are useless; let me do what I can for this poor creature - which is not much." Yeah, it's embarrassing to be on the other end of that.

8 comments:

Heidi said...

Ah, it happens. To all of us! :) No worries.

Sherise said...

Oh, please please please do call him SkippyJon! That would make me muy, muy contento.

Heidi said...

If you're going to call him Skippy anything, call him Skippy Peanut Butter.

Octavia said...

"Skippy Peanut Butter" seems a little unwieldy.

Heidi said...

:-D But it's so much more... Skippy.

sara said...

OMG - for a second there I was only staring at the word "baby,"trying to catch breath again, wondering what I had missed.... considering the possible reproaches I could charge you with... anyway, love the baby!

Don't worry abt the Thesis - you have time, and do one you like, bc I think it would suck to complete something you don't or can't like. Seriously, feels much better to know everything is the way it's supposed to be.

Octavia said...

@ sara: gotcha. :)

prism said...

way cute - looks like trouble. ;-) We got a cat, and um... well... there are days...

Anyway, I've tagged you with a super-short-I-promise tag. Find instructions on my blog under "Random fun" post.