Tuesday, May 27, 2008

editor needed, indeed

Occasionally someone who wants cheap editing or tutoring labor will contact the English Department and ask them to pass along a job posting to the grad students. We got such an email today. I have no interest in this particular job; the most striking thing about it, to me, was that it was written by someone who is so obviously in need of the services they are requesting. It was like a subtle plea for help encoded within the text of the job description, which I have copied and pasted directly from the email:

Are you interested in editing and helping with a series of books? The first book is done, but needs to be edited and possibly have a second set of eyes on the book to try to improve it.

You would be paid for it and given some credit. It is a interesting 7 volume set called "[book title]" about adventures of country boys in Northern California.


If you are interested contact:

[redacted] W. [redacted] Esq.

[redacted] & Associates

Attorney's at Law


Yes, "attorney's." I don't think Mr. Redacted could have crafted a more striking advertisement if he had hired a PR firm. Nothing attracts the attention of English majors like a misplaced apostrophe.

... I'll let you find the other glaring error on your own. :)

10 comments:

Pauly said...

The error isn't "a interesting" is it?

Octavia said...

@ pauly: We have a winner.

Heidi said...

Hee... you could get really technical about the propriety of using numbers rather than writing out the word as well. But I won't do. AAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGHhhhhhhhh
Worst grammar, punctuation, and spelling nightmares comes true. I think misplaced apostrophes make me want to shoot myself most of the time. Idn't that just lovely! Of course, I've found my fingers as they type have been putting apostrophes where they don't belong in hers and theirs and things like that recently. Tells you that my brain is running low, I think.

Octavia said...

@heidi: It's not like I've never done that; it's just that I reread and edit as necessary before I hit "send" or "print."

AnnieD said...

Personally, I'd argue that "about adventures" should be "about the adventures of..." but perhaps that's more stylistic.

My personal pet peeve: representing "y'all" as "ya'll."

Octavia said...

@ AnnieD: I suspect that it is technically correct, but, as you point out, stylistically awkward. I haven't noticed the misspelling of y'all as ya'll, but then it's a word I don't see written very often.

Heidi said...

Brother, I see y'all written all the time, and it's always southerners who don't know how to spell their own slang! I've also noticed a glaring grammatical error in my other comment. What can I say, I was tired...

Octavia said...

@ heidi: Y'all is the correct spelling, no? Then the apostrophe falls at the point where the letters were left out: y[ou]'all.

AnnieD said...

Precisely why ya'll is sooooo irritating.

Heidi said...

Yeah, y'all is the correct spelling. I was insisting on spelling it correctly! lol. Even though when I see it written, it's always the wrong way round. Erf. In fact, I can't remember... I may have even corrected myself from ya'll. Maybe the southerners think they're actually trying to shorten "ya all?" Who knows...