Thursday, October 23, 2008

sidetracked

I am, in fact, working steadily at my thesis; I just don't feel like I'm making any progress. I've written and re-written the introduction five or six times, producing a total of probably fifteen pages of material, of which I've been able to keep five pages. It's a nice, tight, well-written five pages, but still - five pages. At this rate I should be finished just in time to attend Link's high school graduation.

And then last time I talked to Blackwood, I mentioned that some of the things Edgeworth has to say about sensationism reminded me of Wordsworth, and then Blackwood brought up Joanna Baillie, because she also says things that sound like Wordsworth, except Baillie says them earlier than Wordsworth ... and the next thing I knew, I was agreeing to read Baillie's fifty-page manifesto on drama and passions and morals. So I've spent the past couple of days reading up on current criticism of Joanna Baillie, and I'm now writing this post as a means of avoiding her actual essay. Baillie is interesting enough, I suppose, but I have a feeling that she will end up being, at most, one part of one paragraph in my thesis, and likely no more than a footnote. At this point in my career, three days worth of research feels like a lot for footnote.

4 comments:

Heidi said...

:-D You better not ever do a PhD then...

Octavia said...

See, that's why I said "at this point in my career." Because this is not for a PhD, and it's not a dissertation.

Heidi said...

Well, from one academic scholarly friend to another - stay at this point in your career! lol. I left my sanity behind about 4 years ago. I don't recommend it...

Nicole said...

yet another reason why i didn't do a lit emphasis. good luck. oh, and stop procrastinating. :)