Monday, January 12, 2009

good news: we can fix it

There's a scene in Sleepless in Seattle where one of the characters describes a client he's working with:

"When she wants something done, she says, 'You know best, but couldn't we flip the house so the back is in front? And put the front on a hinge so I can get in with a garage door opener.'"

Yeah, Blackwood suggested some revisions. The good news is, he thinks my argument is OK. But he thinks it might work better if I organized it by novel instead of by concept. In other words, right now I have sections on how Edgeworth uses stock characters, sentimental rhetoric, conventional sentimental episodes, etc. in all three of the novels; he thinks it would make more sense if I addressed the novels one at a time instead. He has some compelling reasons for thinking that. It would resolve some of the concerns about why I'm using the three novels I've chosen, rather than doing a comprehensive study of Edgeworth's work; it would demonstrate the supporting evidence for my argument more clearly; it would give me an opportunity to bring in more secondary sources. Also, he's my thesis chair, so it's not like I'm going to argue with him.

He also says he still thinks we're looking good for April graduation, so, yay. And now if you'll excuse me, I need to go turn my draft inside out and put some hinges on it.

No comments: