Tuesday, February 24, 2009

I was supposed to keep that?

Blackwood says the reading list doesn't have to be centered around my thesis. Apparently it's more of a list for my committee to use as the basis for my oral exam: "30 or so works from your seminars that best reflect your graduate education," selected from works that were on the syllabi from my seminars.

Wait, I was supposed to keep all the syllabi from my seminars? Mmmkay, it turns out I actually didn't do that. For some of the classes, I doubt that I ever had a hard copy of the syllabus; several of the professors put their syllabi up on Blackboard, so when I wanted to look up the reading assignments for class I just looked at the online copy. In the meantime, the university has moved to a new version of the Blackboard software, and any old courses that were in the system have vanished, as far as I can tell. So far I have managed to dig up two actual, physical syllabi from my grad classes, and one electronic copy of a syllabus that was languishing in my computer. And since I need to get the reading list to my committee as soon as possible, I probably have about 36 hours to come up with the rest of them.

4 comments:

prism said...

Have you considered asking classmates if they remember what was read? Just a thought.

Nicole said...

just use all the irish plays from that class we took that one time. they had to have been way more fun than anything else you read in grad school, anyway. :)

Octavia said...

@ Nicole: Plus that's got to be at least 30 texts right there, without having to look at my other classes at all.

Victory said...

Yikes! Good luck with that...