Wednesday, May 27, 2009

the month of no sleeping

Daisy is almost two months old now, and she has entered a fun stage of life wherein she tends not to ever sleep during the day unless someone is holding her. If we try to put her in her crib, she wakes up in ten minutes or less, and is not happy about it. Link and Peach went through this too when they were babies, and with each of them it lasted about a month; we're going on three or four weeks of this with Daisy, so I hope she'll be over it soon. I shouldn't complain too much, since she sleeps for three or four or sometimes even six hour stretches at night, but I get tired of sitting down all the time. Our day pretty much goes like this:
  • Daisy wakes up hungry. I sit down and feed her. This may take up to an hour. (Yes, really.)
  • We have happy time for 20 minutes or so. During this time, I may be able to put her down on a blanket on the floor for up to ten minutes.
  • Daisy gets cranky. If I pick her up and carry her around with me, she's not too vocal about it. Unfortunately this precludes me doing anything useful, since my hands are full of baby.

  • Daisy gets tired, cries loudly for ten minutes or so, then falls asleep.
  • I sit down and hold her while she sleeps for anywhere between 20 minutes and two hours. This means that I pretty much can't move unless I want to wake her up. It also means that I can't get anything done or even take a nap while she's sleeping. Yay.

Lather, rinse, repeat. I'll be honest: this is not the most exciting month I've ever had.

2 comments:

prism said...

Sounds like you might need a baby sling. I love them because they nestle the baby to you, so the baby is being held, but frees up your hands.

I could wear mine (with baby inside, of course), walking around for several hours before it got uncomfortable.

There are some on the market out there, but you can also find patterns to make them if you are (or know someone) crafty. Great invention!

Octavia said...

We actually have a baby sling. Glen uses it quite a bit, but it's hard on my back. Maybe I just need a different kind.