Thursday, June 18, 2009

shipping the sheep

Both times I've been to England, I spent the majority of my time in Cumbria, a very beautiful and sheep-intensive region in the northwest part of the country. You can hardly walk a tenth of a mile in the Lake District without tripping over a sheep. They add to the picturesque quality of the place, and have a long cultural history there. So when I was looking for gifts to bring home for the kids and came across some little toy sheep -- in sweaters, no less -- they seemed perfect. There were three in the shop, each with a different color sweater, but I only had two children, so I only bought two sheep.

Now I have three children, and Daisy is quite taken with the sheep. If we put her down on her blanket with a sheep to keep her company, she will smile at it and talk to it and try vainly to grasp it with a view to putting it in her mouth. The sheep each have a tag with the name of the manufacturer printed on them, including a web address, so I thought I'd look them up online and see if there were any more sheep to be had. It would probably be expensive to have one shipped overseas, but I could at least find out exactly how expensive and then decide if I wanted another sheep that badly.

A little searching at the company's website, and lo, I have found "Larry the Lamb," complete with sweater (or "jumper" if you're British). Just £5! Now, about the shipping. Their international shipping page gives a list of countries they ship to, all of which are European or Europe-adjacent. In other words, no shipping to the US. They give no indication of why they don't ship to other countries; the page just says, "Below, you will find a list of countries outside of the United Kingdom that we can deliver directly to. At the present time, If [sic] the country you would like us to deliver to does not feature, then I'm afraid that we cannot deliver there under any circumstances. Apologies for any inconvenience caused."

Well then. Maybe I could have them ship it to Sara, and she could mail it to me. How much could it cost to ship a toy sheep to Switzerland? ... Sweet fancy Moses on a Segway, they want £35 to ship stuff to Switzerland. That's almost $60 USD. To ship a toy that costs, like, eight bucks. Yeah, that's not gonna work for me.

The funny thing is, I also wanted to buy a Magical Trevor plush toy for my cousin, because her husband's name is Trevor and he has red hair. Weebl and Skoo appear to be based in the UK. They have a US version of their online shop, but it only sells T-shirts. After all the difficulty with the sheep-shipping process, I assumed that W&S either wouldn't ship products from the UK to the US, or would do so only for an exorbitant amount of money. Nope. Not only did they sell me a Magical Trevor, they had their site all set up to ship to just about anywhere, and they only charged about $10 USD to ship it to me. Huh.

6 comments:

jkribbit said...

I love Magical Trevor!! Thanks for the introduction :)

Pamela said...

There's no help for it. You'll just have to go back to the UK. Or, you know, find a company or person in England who will receive the shipment then send it on to you for a reasonable fee.

Octavia said...

@jkribbit: Of course you do. Everyone loves Magical Trevor. :)

Octavia said...

@Pamela: Actually, Sara will be in England again around the end of July, so I'm going to see if I can get it shipped to her while she's there. It's less than £3 to ship anywhere in England.

Heidi said...

Look, look, it's Shawn the sheep!! :)
Yes. I'm still alive. Don't ask me about my Phud right now though.

Octavia said...

@ Heidi: "Keep it in mind, He's one of a kind ... Life's a treat with Shaun the Sheep." We love us some Aardman around here.